May being the month of Mary I wanted to do something special for our Marian oratory. Particularly with it being the 100th anniversary of the apparition of Our Lady at Fatima. My first thought was of buying an arch frame to surround our statue and of weaving flowers into it, with lots of vases of flowers at the base... But an internet search didn't turn up any suitable arches. Only 2 meter high garden ones! And in any case, even had I found an arch that was the right size and price, lots of flowers was just fanciful thinking. It is autumn and even were it spring our garden has very limited options for flowers which means buying them, and where we live flowers are not cheap.
Then I noticed a gold picture frame that I had repurposed as a pin-up board a few years back, after the frames glass had broken. It was stored behind a cupboard. At first I had the idea to decoupage the backing board with flower pictures, so that Our Lady would appear to be surrounded with flowers... but we had no flower magazines to cut up. Then I imagined we'd draw all those flowers instead... for a few moments. And then another idea! I remembered the blue starry ceilings I have seen in churches on the internet. Especially the ceilings of the chapels of the Transalpine Redemptorists. And I remembered we had a new tube of cobalt acrylic that I had bought for painting our Paschal candle, and also tucked away on a shelf, the only other tube of acrylic paint in the house, some gold!
|A before shot so you can see the change.|
|Dd5 about to do the May crowning of Our Lady for our home after we had gone to Mass, the Procession and May crowning at our parish.|
The cloth in the above picture was embroidered by my grandma. The purple flowers we knew wouldn't 'match' but it had more flowers on it than all the others and so 'most flowers' won.
Many of its purple flowers made their way to my bedside table as little gifts picked by small hands as Mothers Day presents ;)