A Pictorial Clock of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Based upon  The Clock of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ by St. Alphonsus Ligouri
(Please note that to the best of my knowledge all the pictures used here are in the public domain.)

Editing to add a pdf version which can be downloaded and printed in booklet form.
(Click here for link to Scribd) A Pictorial Clock of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Edit August 2016:  I have noticed that Scribd has made it very difficult to download this document.  My apologies!  I will try to find another way to share it.




HOLY THURSDAY 

6 P.M.

Jesus takes leave of His holy Mother and 
enters into the Cenacle, to make there 
the Pasch and to wash the feet of his 
apostles, and even of Judas. 

Christ taking leave of His mother - Bernhard Strigel c.1520
Jesus Washing Peter's Feet, Ford Madox Brown, 1876
I adore thee, O my divine Jesus! in 
this profound humility. Grant me the 
grace of abasing myself beneath all 
creatures, and purify my soul from all 
the stains of sin. 

We adore thee, O  Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us
by thy Holy Cross. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 P.M.

Jesus Christ institutes the Holy Eucharist, and predicts 
to his apostles that one of them would 
betray him. 

The Last Supper, Carl Bloch

I thank thee, my God, for the institution of the holy sacrament, 
and for the gift that thou then madest us 
of thy precious body and blood. Never permit me, 
I implore thee, to receive thee unworthily.

We adore thee, O  Jesus, 
because thou hast redeemed us 

by thy Holy Cross. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 P.M.
Jesus makes His last Discourse after the Supper, and then passes the
torrent of Cedron to go to the Garden of 
Olives, followed by his three disciples.

Christ Preaches the Apostles, Duccio, completed 1311
Christ and his disciples entered the Garden of Gethsemane, Nikolai Ge, 1889

Grant me the grace, my divine Saviour, 
that the three powers of my soul may be 
always so occupied with thee,
that passing the torrent of this life, I may never 
abandon myself to that of my passions. 

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


9 P.M.

Jesus prays with his face on the ground: "O my Father,"
says He, "if it be possible, let this chalice pass from Me;
nevertheless, not My will, but Thine be done."
He goes to visit his 
disciples ; he finds them asleep and 
admonishes them to watch and to pray. 

The Agony in the Garden, El Greco, c. 1605
File:Brooklyn Museum - You Could Not Watch One Hour With Me (Vous n'avez pu veiller une heure avec moi) - James Tissot.jpg
You Could Not Watch One Hour With Me, James Tissot

O my God! draw my soul from this 
mortal lethargy in the way of salvation 
and grant me, by the merits of thy prayer 
in the Garden of Olives, the true gift of 
prayer.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 P.M.
Jesus is consoled by 
an angel, and begins to sweat blood. 

Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, Paolo Veronese, completed 1584

O my divine Jesus ! I renounce with 
all my heart all natural and human consolations ;
 make thy precious blood flow 
upon my soul, to purify and to sanctify it. 

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 P.M.
Jesus goes to meet 
his enemies. Judas betrays him with a 
kiss. 

Jesus Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, Ilya Repin
Taking of Christ, Caravaggio, 1602

 I adore you, my divine Master ! I have 
a horror of the treason of your disciple, 
Never permit me to imitate him
by receiving thee unworthily
 in the holy communion.

 We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Midnight. 
Jesus is taken, bound 
and tied with cords and taken with many 
indignities to Jerusalem. 

Taking Christ into custody, Ilya Repin, 1886
Deliver me, sweet Jesus ! from the 
bonds of the servitude of sin, which is 
thy enemy and mine, and attach me inseparably to thee.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


1 A.M.

Jesus is conducted to 
the house of Annas, and from there to 
the house of Caiphas, accused by false 
witnesses. 

File:Jesús en casa de Anás Museo del Prado José de Madrazo.jpg
Jesus about to be struck in front of the High Priest Annas, José de Madrazo Agudo, 1803
Christ before Caiaphas, Giotto, c. 1305
I beg of thee the grace, my divine 
Jesus, to profit so well by the holy example, 
that I may suffer willingly all the accusations that can be formed against me, 
without offering any excuse. 

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


2 A.M.

Jesus is denied three 
times by St. Peter, and the cock crew ; 
and Jesus having looked at him, made 
him sensible of his fault.



Cast upon me, O my divine Jesus, a 
look so favourable that it may penetrate 
my heart with a lively contrition for my 
sins, and grant me the grace that having 
imitated St. Peter in his infidelity, I may 
imitate him in his penitence.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3A.M.

Whilst in the prison Jesus is blindfolded and struck.

Adorable Jesus ! close my eyes and 
my heart to all the objects of the earth, 
in order that, being open but
to thy sufferings and humiliations,
I may unite myself to them
with all my heart.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 A.M.

Jesus is sent bound 
to Pilate, who interrogates him on his 
royalty ; Jesus answers him that 
his kingdom is not of this world. 

Christ Before Pilate, Mihaly Munkacsy, 1881

I acknowledge thee, my God, for the 
King of my heart : banish from it thy 
enemies, in order that I may merit that
 at the hour of my death 
thou mayst acknowledge me for thy child.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 A.M.

Pilate sends Jesus to Herod. 

File:Duccio di Buoninsegna - Christ Before Herod - WGA06804.jpg
Christ Before Herod, Duccio di Buoninsegna, 1308-11

Grant me, amiable Saviour, this holy 
folly, in which consists all true wisdom. 

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 A. M.

Jesus is compared to Barabbas.

Give Us Barabbas! from The Bible and its Story Taught by One Thousand Picture Lessons, 1910

O my adorable Saviour ! It is to cure
my pride and my ambition that thou hast 
willed to be compared to a thief and a 
murderer. My pride will be extreme if 
thy humility destroy it not.


We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 A.M.

Jesus is fastened to 
the pillar and cruelly scourged. 

The Scourging on the Front, James Tissot

Pardon me, Lord,
my too great sensibility and delicacy,
and by the precious blood
that thou hast shed in thy flagellation, 
purify my soul from all the stains of sin. 

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 A.M.

Jesus is crowned 
with thorns, and they put a reed in his 
hand in derision. 

Mocking of Christ, Annibale Carracci, c. 1596

They are my sins of thought, O my 
divine Saviour, which have forced into 
thy sacred head this cruel crown of 
thorns ! transpierce my heart with them, 
I implore thee, and destroy my pride by 
thy humiliations.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 A.M.

Pilate presents Jesus 
to the people, saying to them,
'Ecce homo', 'Behold the man'. 

Ecce homo, Antonio Ciseri , between 1860-80

Oh, how much has it cost thee, my 
divine Jesus, to be made man ! However 
disfigured thou art by my sins, I adore 
thee and acknowledge thee for my Lord 
and my God. 

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 A.M.

Jesus is condemned to 
death. 

Christ Leaving His Trial, Gustave Dore, 1867-72

O my Saviour ! you have suffered yourself 
to be condemned to death to give me 
the life of grace ; grant me, I beseech 
thee, so to profit by it, that I may not 
have the misfortune of being condemned 
by thee at the hour of my death.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 A.M.

Jesus is charged 
with his cross, and carries it to Calvary. 


Christ Carrying the Cross, Lorenzo Lotto, 1526
Oh ! how the weight of my sins oppresses thee,
 my adorable Saviour!
pardon me them, I implore thee,
by this heavy Cross
which thou hast carried to Calvary, 
and grant me by it the grace
to bear patiently all those
 that thou shalt please to send me.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Midday

Jesus is fastened 
to the cross between two thieves. 

The Raising of the Cross, James Tissot

I adore thee, O my Saviour Jesus 
Christ crucified ! I beg of thee, very 
humbly, the pardon of all my sins ; I 
give thee my heart ; fasten it to thy 
Cross, I beseech thee, 
with the three divine virtues 
of faith, hope and charity.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 P.M.

Jesus converts the 
good thief and prays for his enemies. 


Christ and the Good Thief, Titian, c. 1566

Remember me, my divine Saviour, now 
that thou art in thy kingdom, and pardon
 me my sins, since for the love of thee 
I pardon, from my heart, all persons who 
may have offended me. 

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 P.M.

Jesus exclaims,
I thirst, and recommends his holy Mother 
to his well-beloved disciple John. 

The Crucifixion of Christ, Tintoretto, 1568

I thirst after thee, adorable Jesus, 
refresh my languishing soul,
which desires but thee,
 and give me, I implore 
thee, to thy holy Mother.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 P.M.

Jesus expires upon 
the Cross, after having said, " All is consummated." 

The Darkness at the Crucifixion, Gustave Dore

Grant me the grace, my divine Saviour, 
by this last sigh, which terminated 
the work of our redemption,
 in terminating thy life,
that the last of mine may be united to it,
and may I be so happy 
as to render it into your heart.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 P.M.

Jesus has his side 
pierced with a lance ; there flowed from 
it blood and water. 

The Strike of the Lance, James Tissot

Precious blood of mv Sayiour, sanctify 
me ; sacred water which flowed from his 
side, wash and purify my soul from all 
sin.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 P.M.

Jesus is taken down 
from the Cross and put into the arms of 
his Holy Mother. 

Lamentation (The Mourning of Christ), Giotto, c. 1306

O holy Virgin ! by this sword, of sorrow 
which transpierced your sacred heart, 
imprint in mine all the sufferings of your 
divine Son ; make me feel them so sensibly
 in this life, that they may be for 
me a source of glory in the next.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by 
thy Holy Cross.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 P.M.

Jesus is buried and left in the tomb.

Jesus at the Tomb, Vladimir Borovikovsky

O my Jesus! I pray Thee
make me always remember Thy Passion;
 and grant that I also, a miserable sinner,
overcome at last by so many loving devices,
may return to love Thee, and to show Thee, by my poor love
 some mark of gratitude for the excessive love
 which Thou, my God and my Saviour, hast borne to me.

We adore thee, O Jesus,
because thou hast redeemed us by
thy Holy Cross.









Comments

  1. Wonderful resource! So nice to see visually, and with the hours noted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts